Monday 10 December 2007

a day when people seemed unkind

Nobody was speaking to me at work today. To be fair to them, there may arguably be a reason behind their collective incandescence with me [Solicitor: stop being so magnanimous] but that reason will have to wait until I'm actually sacked or else Someone may identify from this blog.

Half way through the afternoon, for the first time ever, I walked out. I walked out, leaving Everyone to assume that Someone had given me permission to depart early. If I'm asked to explain myself tomorrow, I'm sure I could plead female problems that I couldn't at the time disclose because there was a male visitor in the office. Equally, I could probably get away with telling them I'd had a panic attack. But I wouldn't want to be dishonest.

I came home and started making fresh, organic lentil burgers for the Bible study group this evening. It's a group I don't often have the energy for telling people at work that I go to because some of its members are Unsaved and they even like Fiance. I don't want to be told that I go there merely to feel comforted or un-got-at by being in a room where others have Unsaved partners too.

I go there because I experience God there, and community, too.

I think I've done very much more for God through making those burgers than I did in the office earlier. If Someone at work calls me to account for leaving early this afternoon, I will explain to them exactly that. They can have as many hours in lieu from me as they want. For the joy of such perfectly-crafted and tasty burgers that those who love me will love, I'd do anything.

No comments: