Thursday 28 August 2008

a post that doesn't mention Todd Bentley but describes the joy of public sector employment in the UK

Seven weeks ago, I was offered and accepted a New Job, which was set to begin in early September. During the past seven weeks, I have made several attempts to ascertain why I'd received nothing whatsoever yet in writing, and to enquire when and where I'd start and how they'd like to pay me. All of my emails went unanswered, and each time I rang I was passed in quick succession between various departments, each one holding the other responsible for the dearth of information. This morning, one of their most junior administrators let slip the reason for all the delays and obfuscations: they haven't yet managed to secure any funding for my post, nor for those of about six others also recently appointed.

Now I understand that within the public sector, people's posts do often disappear and anticipated posts sometimes do fail to materialise. But what I can't get my head around is why they advertised, interviewed and offered work to so many people, without knowing how they were going to pay them...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grace - UGH. How infuriating!

That is the epitomy of irresponsibility!

grace said...

It's astounding, yes. But for it all to fall apart now would cause them such embarassment I can't see it not happening eventually...

Anonymous said...

As a former church worker and a current public sector employee, I'm afraid it is like this :-( Hope they get it sorted.

Sas x

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh no. I really hope the funding comes through.

We're in a similar boat--waiting for a big writing project to get final corporate approval before they sign us on as freelancers. The main difference is that they have been upfront with us about the delays and even offered some interim work.

grace said...

Thanks, all of you.

If it doesn't happen, though, I'd love a job like Ruth's. Sitting writing all day long... sounds fab!