Wednesday 20 August 2008

I'm a Kick Ass blogger, according to Kate



Kate from the Morningstar Chronicles nominated me for this

Grace, at Jesus Wept, because Jesus surely does, at what she’s been through because of her previous place of employment, and her struggle to find a new church home.

which was really kind of her.

So the rules are that, if you're awarded a Kick Ass award

1. Choose 5 bloggers that you feel are "Kick Ass Bloggers"
2. Let 'em know in your post or via email, twitter or blog comments that they've received an award
3. Share the love and link back to both the person who awarded you and back to www.mammadawg.com
4. Hop on back to the Kick Ass Blogger Club HQ to sign Mr. Linky then pass it on!

Being English and all, the concept of Kick[ing] Ass doesn't generally feature in my vocabulary. I once lived in a student house in which we shared a bottle of Kick Ass Chilli sauce to put on our fish and chips, but that's about it. But of course, I know what you mean.

OK, so who are my five? I've spent the whole day thinking about this... and have reached the conclusion that, whereas I'm probably thinking far too deeply about it all, I can't follow the rules.

I could never choose just five. There are too, too many excellent blogs out there. And for me the real Kiss Ass-ers of the blogosphere aren't the bloggers as much as the commenters. I think it's Roland Barthes who says that narrative and thought are created not so much by those who write as those who respond to what's written. Although I don't know much about literature, I can see what he's getting at with regard to the Bible, theology and blogs, which are the main forms of writing with which I am familiar.

And so, I'm going to pass on my kick-ass blog award to some of the most thoughtful and dedicated blog-readers and commenters I know, from all of blogs I read, both those on and beyond my blogroll. I've put them in alphabetical order, to avoid any inference of preference. And seeing as I've broken the rules already, I've chosen eight.

Here they are...

Caroline. We started out blogging together. Most of what she now writes either goes zooming over my head in its academic acumen, or makes me blush because it's so rude. But she's so wonderfully unafraid of writing some bold, challenging and very funny things.
Erika. Her Blogger profile says it all. (My cooking improves with wine quality, too.) Just an altogether lovely, lovely person.
Erin. One of life's gentle people... and a blog that's extremely thought-provoking...
Lampbus. One of these days I'll ask him what his name means... a male version of Bagpuss, maybe? He never fails to make all those around him think more deeply.
Lilwatchergirl. Yet another stunningly good writer, with a real gift for brave, clear thinking. (And a partner that talks almost as much as mine, too.)
Peter Ould. I disagree with almost everything of his I've read, but I admire his creativity and capacity for argument.
Razzler, The. Zooming across the blogosphere daily, she's a very good friend to a great number of people.
Ruth. In between writing a textbook, caring for a sick dog, coordinating support for a family with sick children she still has time to blog... yet she's, again, so thoughtful.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, thanks! I've never got one of these before - how exciting! You totally deserve yours. :D

Anonymous said...

And here was me writing today about how I should stop need affirmation... oh well. Tee hee!

Erika Baker said...

Grace,
wow, I'm speechless.
What an amazing compliment from an amazing woman. I'm so glad we "met" and I can't wait until we finally meet properly!
Thank you. So much.

Anonymous said...

You're too kind (I think).

grace said...

Aw... am glad you all pleased! And Peter, yes, entirely... a compliment, honestly...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Thank you very much. I'm quite touched. I already have a post for tomorrow, so it will go up in a day or two.

Lampbus said...

Thankyou indeed. I just need to get a grip on what it actually means.

Today I told a newspaper reporter that philosophy is all about spreading ideas, not stuffy stuff, and this blogging phonomonen is a large facet of that.

Thus blogging=philosophy=blogging=cool&modern.

Erin said...

You made me cry.
In a good way :)

Naomi J. said...

Thank you so much for the award! Sorry it took me so long to come and find it. :)