Monday 31 December 2007

https://www.careersfordisaffectedevangelicals.org.uk

Thanks for all the responses to my previous post. However, a determined commitment to a New Religious Direction (self-created Religious Movement or otherwise) will only happen if I leave my current job. And given that I’ve got a wedding impending and a cat to feed, leaving my current job will only happen if I find another one.

I think I may therefore want or need a new job...

I don’t enjoy job-hunting, perhaps because I'm fairly dismal at it. I utterly lack whatever cognitive/social skill it is (perception? intuition? social niceties?) to ever discern what the person reading the application wants to hear. I can (and usually do) fall into any or all of the following traps

1. Ending up sounding pathetically and frantically desperate for their job. I've landed myself in some farcically unsuitable and extremely short-lived employment situations this way. I would provide some anecdotes but I don't want to Out myself on this blog, yet.
2. Trying to be clever but instead coming accross as a pretentious/arrogant prat/twat. My classic was the treatise I produced (some time ago, I hasten to add) by way of application to a local GP practice advertising for a receptionist in which I spend half a page pontificating on the need for a thorough reorganisation of the local primary care trust in order to maximise the effeciency of the GP receptionist. I heard from a friend who worked there as a nurse that the practice meeting "wetted themselves laughing" at my application. At least they didn't invite me for an interview so they could all wet themselves in front of me. At least.
3. Providing them with Too Much Information. I was once told, at an interview, "of all the 27 applicants for this job, you were the only one who filled in the what-are-your-greatest-weaknesses-question with any honesty at all". I didn't get the job, suffice to say.

I have, therefore, booked myself an appointment with the local Graduate Careers Service. But I'm honestly no longer sure what it is I want.

2 comments:

Rick said...

A Happy New Year to you. Check out the give-away on my blog. I think that you'll be glad you did.

http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

episcopalifem said...

I get this way all the time. I never know quite what I want to be when I grow up.

I'd like to be taller, but at 38, I don't think I'll get more than the 5' Godde has given me.

With re: to resumes and cover letters - read the job ad/qualifications and make sure that your resume highlights you have the skills and experience they want - briefly. I'd be happy to look one over for you (with identifiers removed) if you'd like. You know where to email me!