Tuesday 20 November 2007

On a lighter note

Grace's own Equalities Challenge

Four bridesmaids. Representing between them the beautiful diversity of the female form, each one gloriously unique in colour, shape, size, age and fashion sense.

What are they going to wear? I attempted
a) hiring a dressmaker (none of those I emailed/left messages for have got back to me - I think I must have scared them all off.)
b) buying the same outfit off the peg for each one in the relevant size (I took Bridemaid 1 to John Lewis to try this out, using myself as a comparator. Whenever anything suited either of us, the other ended up looking somewhat, ahem, unfortunate. And Bridesmaid 1 and I are virtually the same colour, shape and size as one another, too.)
c) ebay (I found an outfit that I thought would ideally suit Bridesmaid 1 - who was delighted. I then got a bit excited and found a wonderful dress for Bridesmaid 2. It was 3 minutes until the auction ended and I bought it for a tenner. It's rather too small for her - well, at least I didn't overestimate her size - and she's now somewhat unimpressed with me. Ooooops.)

I'm now contemplating a possible d), which would involve writing each bridesmaid a cheque and telling them to dress themselves in whatever they want. When I put this to Bridesmaid 3 she replied that, given the choice, she'd dress herself entirely in Goretex and hi-performance fleece but that I'd have to accept that because she has a disability which makes her feel the cold, and claims middle-rate DLA for it, too.

And we all laughed.

5 comments:

Naomi J. said...

I'd dress in a fleece jumper, too...

grace said...

Come! Both you and The Girl would be welcome in your fleeces (and so would Luna - I've checked!)

Naomi J. said...

Oh, you're a sweetie! I really wasn't asking for an invite - in any way :D But it would be lovely to meet you sometime (although I'm not too great with weddings...) - maybe we can arrange it?

grace said...

Definately :-) That'd be great! (But you were already on the guest list...!)

Naomi J. said...

Hee. I was? You're adorable. Apologies for my faux-pas. Send invite as planned.

*lilwatchergirl whistles like she didn't just do that fabulously neurodiverse thing she quite often does...*