Thursday 29 November 2007

magnanimous.

Another day, another meeting, another crisis.

The very nice solicitor I saw last night tells me that, in all my dealings with them, I've been "hugely magnanimous". I think Jesus would have been, too.

Jesus, however, could never have used the first century Palestinian legal system to fight the religious authorities he clashed with. No solicitor would ever have represented his case of vicitimisation for having claimed to be the Messiah.

I don't want money or publicity, nor do I feel the need for any public vindication, nor am I naive enough to believe that a tribunal claim would prevent them from doing to another employee exactly what they're done to me. All I want is for them to think. To think about the love they preach and to comtemplate how their employment practice might relate to that. So the question for me, in considering whether to take legal action against them is straightforward: which course of action will better help them to ponder what they're doing.

I spent the night with Fiance and couldn't sleep. I ended up downstairs watching various Benn Hinn miracles crusades dubbed into Yoruba (much flinging about of crutch, which says essentially the same thing in any language) and an un-named Muslim televangelist implore me to give my credit card details to Fatah. At about 4am I rang into one of the Properity Prayer lines and asked the operator to believe God with me for twenty grand for my "ministry". Not that money would sort my job out, of course, but it certainly wouldn't be any harm. The man ended the conversation by assuring me that a twenty-five grand cheque will be in my office pigeon hole tomorrow. If he's right, I will publish a written retraction of all my cynicism and apply to Rhema college.

If I'm learning anything whatsoever about this, it's that what the Christian message starts, ends and utterly depends on and stands or fails upon... it's love. Unless Christians can treat each other properly (or rather, unless Christians can be honest about how hard it is to treat one another properly) they might as well not bother invoking the name of Jesus.

1 comment:

Naomi J. said...

Am I bad for finding this post rather humorous? You're too witty for your own good...

I'm glad you're considering taking action.