Monday 5 November 2007

fellow travellers #3

The fireworks began as soon as it got dark... well, that was about ten days ago now. But the banging began long before I left work this evening. I stood at the top of my road, the highest point for miles around, and watched.

It's a bit grim when you think about it, really. And the more I do think about it, the more I grow in sympathy for Guy Fawkes. Attempting to blow up the Houses of Parliament was an indisputably stupid thing to do, of course. But perhaps Guy Fawkes felt that he has no other option, no other means by which to express his sense of oppression. Perhaps he was motivated not by powerlust or anger as much as his longing for religious freedom and his desperation simply to be allowed to worship God as he needed to.

The local authority in which I live has a policy of providing as many free Guy Fawkes night bonfires and fireworks displays as it can. Their thinking being that their provision will prevent local NEETs, unwashed and "communities" from randomly aiming lighted rockets into one another's yards. In an area so historically divided, racist and inflammatory, one can see their thinking. But yet it's ironic, in response to Guy Fawkes' attempt to fight state control of something, the government seeks to impose a controlled response. Like in all these new anti-terror measures.

I've never been particularly anarchist or libertarian, but I can't help wondering. If we all allowed those around us to believe whatever they want and worship however they like, what would happen?

And what would be the theological implications - and prerequisites - for that amongst people who believe that there is only one Saviour?

I don't know the answers to my own questions. But all around me, the firworks continue.

No comments: