Wednesday 6 August 2008

Grace and Beloved's ChurchSearch Week 7.2: Grace goes Appalachian snake handling via Google

The Church of the Lord Jesus with Signs Following in Jolo, West Virginia, USA

This is the town, situated in one of the five most deprived counties of the whole United States.



This is their church website...

... and here's a YouTube clip I found of part of a service...


... and here's a documentary clip I also found about them...


... and here's a Wikipedia page about it all.

Is anyone else out there utterly intrigued?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last spring I interviewed Dewey Chaffin, one of the founders of the Jolo church, for an ongoing book project about Christianity in the South. He was old and frail at the time, and I got the impression that the church was no longer holding regular services. If you're interested, I'd be glad to share the interview chapter offline.

grace said...

Really? I'd definately be fascinated to read it! Could you email me at that.jesus.wept@gmail.com?