Saturday 16 August 2008

an extremely good poem I found, which says a lot about faith today

Cyber-Psalm 44: On Reading Christopher Hitchins
by David Ker

Religion poisons everything.
god is not great.
god did not create us.
We created god.

The calm voice of reason batters my ecstasy.

Fanatics burn effigies.
Holy men declare fatwas.
Statues weep and trees speak.
Denominations recursively reduplicate.

Theocracies and theologies threaten.

What is the essence within the devout accoutrements?
Who is the divine behind the curtain?
Are we worshipping our own shadow on the wall?
Carpenter? King? Ephemeral Pantokrator?

Why am I still unmoved by the seeming soundness of your mocking?

pneuma
has blown away my resistance.
agape has enfolded me in its harmony.
koinonia has broken through my isolation.
logos has spoken the final word.

While reason and religion rage, my heart sings to God.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

exactly

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Wow, I love the affirmation at the end.

Anonymous said...

I love this poem.

grace said...

I think it's mindblowingly fantastic.

Beloved's in the middle of reading "God is not great", (which is how I stumble upon the poem) and I think I'll have to now, too...

Naomi J. said...

Now that's good stuff.