Thursday 31 July 2008

Grace and Beloved's ChurchSearch Week 6.5: Toddler Church

A service specifically for those 3 and under. I'd been invited along merely as a storyteller, and as an extra pair of hands to empty potties and sweep excess manna off the sanctuary carpet.

A wonderful, wonderful set-up. Even if I am, like, 30 years too old. Even if I did get soaked within an inch of my life cycling back.

And it got me wondering, too. There's so much written and discussed and proposed about how to bring the yoof ov 2day to Christ. But, if certain strands of developmental psychology are to believed (and personally, I'm not sure either way) it's from aged 0-5 rather than from aged 13-19 that we are most receptive to learning, experience, relationships and attachment. So why, then, isn't there more consideration, experimentation and research on how to engage 2 and 3 year olds in faith and worship?

"What are we going to sing now?" asked the worship leader.
"Twinkle, twinkle little star!" shouted one little one.
"No but I want to sing a GOD song," insisted another. "That's what's really great."

True, yes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The theory isn't that simple. Adolescence is a regression not a progression, it's projection of the first five years of life. So if we fail with children when they're toddlers, as teenagers we have a second chance. At least.

grace said...

Ah... OK. *Grace really should stop spouting on about that which she knows nothing about*

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

But your point is valid that there is value in taking the little ones seriously. Of course, I'm a bit biased. I made my decision for God when I was three or four. All on my own, in the privacy of my bedroom. So I tend to believe in letting the little children come to God.

grace said...

Yes, and I think Jesus did too... definately.