Friday 28 December 2007

In which Grace decides to form a New Religious Movement

After a lovely few days with family and friends and without all the hassles and politics and religious authority-play of work, I have suddenly realised: it doesn't need to be this painful. I need a New Religious (or Spiritual or Faith) Possibility... soon. But what?


Grace's Possible New Religious Possibilities

Agnosticism/Secularism
Sorry, no. God’s there and I like chatting to him/her/it. Not an option.

Sufism
Of all non-Christian ways of engaging with God, this I like. But I don’t think one can convincingly buy into one form of Islam without embracing the entire Ummah. And I couldn’t do religion that didn’t do Jesus. The whole concept of the incarnation is what I love.

Various forms of progressive Judaism
I like the ethics and the academic rigour of it. However, I’ve rarely felt excessively welcome in groups of religious Jews. Or maybe it’s just me. But either way, I don’t think I could ever do religion that didn’t involve Jesus. There’s Messianic Judaism, of course. But I don’t quite see the point of that for those who weren’t Jewish to begin with.

More “liberal” forms of Christianity
Oh please. Sorry, but I just don’t get it. I’ve read Bultmann, Cupitt and the like and yes, they’re very educated and intelligent people, but I’ve never seen the point of demythologisations, nor of insisting that modernity and rationalism inform faith. I’m fine with the Bible telling me that the world was created in six days and that Mary was a virgin and equally I’m fine with Darwin telling me both are impossible. I don’t need to contend with the alleged conflicts between science and religion because, after several years of scientific training and a few episodes of psychosis, I struggle to believe either in science or the objectivity of reality, text, reason or experience. For me, God is all there is.

Converting to Roman Catholicism
Could do. In recent years I’ve been surprised to find that I like a lot of the theology. But they’d need to be a significantly nicer to their women before I could really want to be a Catholic. So probably not this year, then.

Cutting edge, radical, hardcore New Paradigm Church-like
As in, like Vineyard, Hillsongs, NFI, G12-type churches. Maybe. They’re good fun. Sorry to be superficial, though, because I know these things shouldn’t matter, but the volume of the music tends to annoy me: God’s not deaf. Or maybe I’m just too old. But I also get edgy in groups that are so laid-back and informal that they lack clear structures of leadership or mechanisms for accountability.

Quaking
The whole concept of Quakerism intrigues me. I don't think I understand it entirely, but I love the idea of a God who resides within everyone. All inclusive, like.

Bog-standard Church of England-ness
Could do worse. I think it’s all something I understand and can relate to relatively comfortably. But I’m increasingly realising that faith has to involve community. I know they earnestly do try, but I think I’m still a bit young for the jam-making and the jumble sales of your stereotypical Anglican social scene. But I know there’s more to it then that.

Post-evangelicalism emerging Churchyness type “movements”
This interests me. I like the focus on community, eclecticism and inclusion. Sometimes I doubt that they’re ever as new or innovative as they claim, but probably few of us are. There’s not much of such things in my home town, but maybe I could start something new? Hmmm now there’s a thought…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few thoughts:

1) All religious institutions and communities are very imperfect, because, well, they are run by humans, who tend to eff things up.

2)I used to be RC. They are VERY unfriendly to women, and require gays to live celibate lives (not that there aren't partnered homosexuals who are RC - some of them are even priests - but, it is not and will not be accepted there for a loooooooong time. Ditto to women in leadership roles.

3) I agree with you about churches and community. If you were to join CofE, you'd likely need to try to make some of your own fun, and try to set up a ministry that would appeal to younger folks (who, as we all know, are a damn hard group to pin down~)

4) I'd suggest (not that you've asked! ;-} trying a traditional denomination, and supplementing with other outside spiritual experiences, retreats, etc. No church will suit you perfectly, but, you can try to make do with what exists in order to have that sense of church community.

Naomi J. said...

I've found a home in fairly-liberal (but not over-radically so) Anglo-Catholicism in a church with an 'emerging church' group working as part of it, which has a fantastic 20s-30s ministry, does some really great theology, and where there's lots of interesting stuff going on. I don't know how many of these places exist! Quakerism seems cool, although I really like my structures.

Are we to assume that you're not going to continue to worship in the church where you work? (If so: yay! :D )

Erin said...

Love this walk through your thoughts.
Not ready for jam making... lol... :) Yea, I find the "bazaar set" a bit determined.

I'm working all this out for myself, so I'm interested to see where you go in this bit of your journey...

grace said...

Thanks for all your thoughts! Will keep you all updated. There's also, too, the purely online worship/community option. Should have mentioned that. Hmmm. Need to get to bed though...

MadPriest said...

Bog-standard Church of England communities may be boring but at least they are real, inasmuch as they come from the people themselves. The problem with emerging-church type communities is that they appear to be rooted in their own culture but in fact they are being manipulated by the leaders. It is difficult for evangelicals and catholics to truly accept stuff if it is contrary to their own religious and cultural background. Although there are some successful communities of this type in the Americas, I have only ever come across two real emergent churches in the U.K. Holy Joes when it started and The Nine O'clock Service (and we all know what happened to that). I am sorry to say this but the fact that you are looking for something to satisfy your own spiritual and intellectual requirements probably means you shouldn't be starting a new church (although, I expect you would put your own needs to one side if you actuality did go down that road).

By the way, how come your tag line about Jesus and Lazurus is virtually an exact quote from one of my funeral sermon templates? Spooky!